The Pathologists' Assistant (PA) dissects tissue specimens and provides dictated placement in plastic cassettes for embedding, staining, and microscopic analysis. This position directs coding of specimens for the accessioning staff. Processes breast and other tissue specimens according to established protocols, and instructs residents, fellows, medical students, and faculty in Gross Room protocols and processes as well as specimen photography. This position is responsible for responding on a STAT basis to the frozen section room adjacent to the SHC operating rooms, and performs intraoperative frozen sections. The PA is also responsible for assembling catalogues and preserving specimens for the gross specimen teaching library, and the Department of Pathology Tissue Bank. This position prepares and performs specimen radiography of breast, bone, and soft tissue specimens.
· Dictates gross descriptions of tissue specimens and hardware
· Dissects wet tissue specimens
· Instruct residents, fellows, and medical students in tissue dissection techniques
· Perform frozen section procedures
· Performs specimen radiographs for selective specimens
· Preserve tissues for ancillary studies and tissue bank
· Preserve tissues for departmental tissue library
· Select representative sections for embedding, staining and microscopic evaluation
· Weighs, measures, and selectively photographs tissue specimens
Autopsy specific tasks:
· Autopsy dissections and measurements
· Assists in collection of specimens for laboratory and microscopic analysis
· Instructs residents, fellows, medical students, and faculty in autopsy protocols and processes as well as specimen photography and radiology
· Responsible for preparing specimens for the teaching collection and various research tissue protocols
· Assists in maintenance and supply of the autopsy room
· Participates in administrative roles such as health and safety certification for the autopsy service
Equal Opportunity Employer Stanford Health Care (SHC) strongly values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity and non-discrimination in all of its policies and practices, including the area of employment. Accordingly, SHC does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity and/or expression, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, or disability, or the perception of any of the above. People of all genders, members of all racial and ethnic groups, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants with criminal convictions will be considered after an individualized assessment of the conviction and the job requirements.
Education: Bachelor's degree in a work related field/discipline from an accredited college or university
Experience: One (1) year of progressively responsible directly related work experience.
PA (ASCP) -Pathologist Assistant Certification from the American Society for Clinical Pathology